GreenCape is a non-profit organisation that drives the widespread adoption of economically viable green economy solutions from the Western Cape.
We work with businesses, investors, academia and government to help unlock the investment and employment potential of green technologies and services, and to support a transition to a resilient green economy.
We are a not-for-profit organisation established in 2010 to support the development of the green economy in the region.
GreenCape’s vision is a thriving prosperous Africa mobilised by the green economy.
In the next 5 years, GreenCape aims to be globally relevant in driving the uptake of green economy infrastructure solutions in the developing world context.
What do we do?
We work at the interface between business, government and academia in order to identify and remove barriers to economically viable green economy infrastructure solutions in developing countries, thereby catalysing their replicable and large-scale uptake to enable each country and its citizens to prosper.
We assist businesses by removing barriers to their establishment and growth.
Our work includes:
- helping potential investors understand the local market, connect with the right people and encounter fewer barriers to doing business
- providing policy and regulatory advocacy and support
- facilitating access to funding
- facilitating market access
- establishing skills development partnerships
- networking and information-sharing events
- sharing our expert knowledge through publications
To do this, we work closely with our partners in government, the private sector and academic community. The green economy is new and fast moving and business opportunities may be constrained by issues such as legislation and policy, a lack of credible information, limited market awareness and demand, business finance and skills. GreenCape’s team of sector experts make it their business to fully understand these shifting dynamics so they can provide useful and relevant support to existing and potential green businesses.
We also assist local, provincial and national government to build a resilient green economy.
- support on the development of standards, regulations, tools and policies
- expert technical knowledge on key sectors in the green economy
- access to networks of key players across business, academia, and internationally
The GreenCape model
For more on how we work, what has led to our success and the potential replicability of GreenCape’s model, click here.